Is your Christmas Tree making you sick? 1 Expert Says Yes.

This winter, if you find yourself feeling run-down, there might be an unexpected cause of your sickness: your Christmas tree.

What’s the Christmas Tree Syndrome?

Most of us will have decorated and hung our Christmas trees by now in preparation for the big day later this month. However, did you realize that your allergies could be aggravated by your Christmas tree?

Being allergic to holiday trees is a real condition known as “Christmas tree syndrome.”

Whether your tree is artificial or real, it can still cause you to sneeze and sniffle when you normally wouldn’t. According to plant specialists, if you own real Christmas trees, your sneezing may be caused by a pollen allergy since when fir trees are chopped down, they often release a lot of pollen.

Artificial trees rarely cause allergic reactions, but they can still cause illness if not managed properly. This is particularly the case if the trees get moldy from being kept in moist environments or if they are overly dusty.

Igor Podyablonskiy, a florist said “Real Christmas trees can contain mould spores and weed pollen, which can cause potential allergic reactions. They may also be sprayed with chemicals like fake snow or pesticides which can trigger allergy symptoms such as a runny nose, blocked nose or cold-like symptoms.”

Furthermore, Christmas trees can be poisonous to our pets, who frequently like nothing more than trying to eat the pine needles. This means that they not only endanger our own health but also that of others.

If swallowed, these needles have the potential to upset the stomach and cause pain because of their sharp nature.

The scientist continued: “Leftover water in the tree stand can also be harmful if ingested and the fertilisers and additives that are sometimes included can cause upset stomachs and even cause poisoning if consumed.”

To lessen the chance of a bauble shattering into easily consumed bits, Igor advised people to buy shatterproof ornaments. He also stressed the importance of securing all lights to prevent pets from pulling them down, which may start a fire.

Not only Christmas trees can be dangerous, according to Igor; common holiday plants like mistletoe, holly, and poinsettias can also be poisonous to animals, so if you have pets at home, you should exercise extreme caution before decorating your home with them.

It’s best to keep these plants out of reach or use artificial ones to prevent kids and dogs from potential hazards. Get in touch with a veterinarian right away if you think your pet has eaten any plants or decorations.